Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The World Will Probably Not End Tomorrow

Today is November 4, election day in the United States and the day that our next President will be chosen. I occasionally listen to political talk radio. Because I live in small town East Texas, all that it on is Conservative talk radio, but I've heard some of the same sentiment in the past from less Conservative media outlets.

Depending on who is leading in different polling samples, I've heard one party or the other say that they were terrified about the future of this country and even scared for their own lives. I've heard the big-city liberals question the intelligence levels of people in red states and I've heard small-town conservatives attack blue staters as being intellectual snobs and communists.

I just wanted to say that the world will probably not end tomorrow, no matter who wins the election, and even if it does, it will have no relation at all to the presidential election. I've learned that God doesn't opperate within our frame of reference. God does not base his decisions on human events or understanding. Also, God doesn't really support one political party or the other. God is God, he is above such things. He is the one who allows governments and potentates in the first place.

All of us who are believers need to not trust in the state anyway. God is our God. We need to not depend on the government for anything. Believers are supposed to change the world. We complain about the course our nation is on, but don't lift a finger to make it better. How can it be better, you ask? We must love our brother, look after our neighbor, and generally be kind people. We must seek ways to share God's love in a loving manner, speaking the truth not in anger, but in love.

How do I know the world won't end tomorrow? I don't, but I suspect. In Matthew 24:14 Jesus tells us that the gospel will be preached around the world as a testimony to all the nations and then the end will come. In my mind, that leaves little time to squabble and argue about temporal things and instead make our lives about spreading the love of God.

1 comment:

Rick said...

well spoken master Carl.

check out the 4 commitments post on my blog re: Barack Obama.