Friday, November 7, 2008

Paradox

I recently read the book "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. In it one of the characters tells the main character that there are no contradictions in life. If you find a contradiction, then you must re-examine your premises. In doing so, you will find that one or more of them are wrong.

As I read the Bible, there are times when it seems like scripture contradicts itself. As I read closer, though, I discover simply a paradox. A paradox is one or more statements that seem to be contradictory or mutually exclusive, but in fact represent truth. It simply defines what is. It makes me more thoughtful about everything. What are my presuppositions when I approach new information? What are my cultural biases that control my actions? What are the premises I need to re-examine so I don't find myself awash in contradiction?

After a probably less-than thorough examination of my biases, I have come up with a few things I believe are certain.

Scripture is complete, accurate, and singular in purpose.

There is nothing in scripture that contradicts itself.

There is nothing in scripture that contradicts the nature or will of God.

If all scripture is true, then I must live within the truth of scripture as I understand it. I am responsible for the knowledge I possess. If I find tension anywhere in scripture, I must struggle to understand it better. I believe scripture is subtle and nuanced and we can't always approach it and devour it in large chunks. We must sometimes be subtle and digest truth in small, savory bites. God wants to reveal himself to us through his word, but like any relationship, the more we know and understand about God, the deeper we can go. We no longer have to struggle with the big things, we get to see God more intimately, more closely. We get to experience God's true nature.

Perhaps that is why Enoch walked with God and then simply was no more. Perhaps he reached a point of understanding and intimacy that he simply was taken straight into the presence of God. Of course, I'm simply speculating here, but how extraordinary!

What are your thoughts?

No comments: