Tuesday, March 3, 2009

What Kind of Day Has It Been

Disciple Now 2009 is over. As I recover from the many hours spent planning and pick up and put away decorations, stage sets, and various other bits lying around, I pause to reflect on what we experienced. The theme for the weekend was "One." It dealt with pursuing our relationship with God, our Father. We asked of our students nothing more and nothing less than them pursuing and maintaining an intimate relationship with God. Like any of us has to work on our marriage or the relationship with our children or our parents or our employer, we must work on our relationship with God. We challenged beliefs and the status quo. I'm sure we offended some people. I pray only that the Spirit of God was heard.

I've never experienced the kind of effort that went into this event. Not that we tried to contrive anything, but just the planning and execution of a community-wide event of this nature required a lot of work, work I never dreamed of. I've never spent so much time in prayer for an event. I've never seen people in the community get as involved as they did in this event. There were three sponsor churches involved, but at least 8 churches represented by students. I even had one couple volunteer their house and they attend a church in another city. It was remarkable how that worked out because the husband and oldest daughter of this family turned out to be on a prayer team for a tribe in Africa that the group leader in their house had just spent two weeks with this past January. Though I expect things like this to happen, I never cease to be amazed at how God chooses to work.

This past weekend we experienced a moving of God. As with any movement of the Spirit, lives are changed. How much and for how long largely depends on the individual's response and commitment. This is always the intangible you long to know, but for which you can never plan. My only prayer in that is that each of us will take what the Lord revealed to us and put in to action in our own lives.

What kind of day has it been? It's been a good day. Now I rest in the arms of the Father.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

good post. thanks for the challenge.