Thursday, March 26, 2009

Going to Mars

I think we as the human race should put forth an effort to go to Mars.

I know this sounds ridiculous to most people, but the human timeline of history has been a list of discoveries. In the past, discovery was all about beating someone else, being the first person or nation to do something or go somewhere. Now it seems there is no more competition to do anything, except make more money so we can better rule the world. What has happened to our sense of awe with creation? Why would we not want to learn more about the universer we're in?

I remember in school being overwhelmed by space. I loved studying space and the history of space travel. I own the HBO miniseries "From the Earth to the Moon." I am still awed by the space travel that happened 40 years ago. July 20 of this year marks the 40th anniversary of man's landing on the moon. After a few short trips (only 12 people have ever set foot on the moon) the lunar program was cancelled. Since then, space travel has been limited to low-earth orbit, space stations, and telescopes that don't always work right away. We've sent probes to other countries and even out of the solar system, but no man has left the gravitational pull of the earth in over 30 years.

Isn't there something to be said for exploration just to see what's out there? Isn't there something exciting and stirring about that? Or have we all become so crass and cynical as to only be moved by financial gain anymore?

I ask these questions because to me there is a greater thing at risk. If we fail to be awed by the physical universe around us, what's to keep us from failing to be awed by an invisible God? I'm sure some pious people will tell me that we're not supposed to worship creation but the Creator. I understand that and I don't believe that's my mistake. I believe that by being dazzled by creation we are being awed by the Creator himself, by the work he has done.

I believe we should go to Mars.

No comments: