Sunday, January 4, 2009

Something New

It's been a while since I've written. The Christmas/New Year's holidays are done. The Cowboys will once again be without a Superbowl championship. I'm sitting on my sofa with my wife sleeping next to me. I'm about to watch the Eagles play the Vikings. I'm not really interested in the game, but at least it's football.

As we enter the beginning of a new year I pause for a moment to consider this opportunity for newness and change. I find that I talk a lot about what I want to do and don't spend much time doing it. When it comes time to actually do things I want to do, I tend to find something infinitely less interesting that takes decidedly less energy and thought to accomplish.

This summer I have the opportunity to take two overseas trips during the month of June. A group that I go to youth camp with is taking a trip to Haiti to build a school. Amanda and I plan to go with them. Recently, however, we've also been invited to go to Greece and lead and camp/retreat for IMB missionaries and their children. I'm excited about both of these opportunities but I also realize that it's going to cost quite a bit to be able to do both. We're talking between $6000-$7000 for both Amanda and myself.

Am I cautious because I know that I can't possibly do everything I want to do, or am I hesitant because it's going to be hard to raise the money to go? I don't know. I want to take every opportunity because I want to be available, but I also want to have wisdom and make good decisions.

Any thoughts/money would be welcome at this juncture.

No comments: